Saturday, October 3, 2009

Columbus


KENT'S STUNNING VIDEO Columbus features two leading "actors":   1) the city  2) the lighting. Urban lighting permeates the scene and oozes from every pore. It enhances movement and somehow creates this feel of loneliness in a crowd. It's very Scandinavian, it's very human. It's universal. 

Personally, I adore this time of day, when the city lights are on and people are rushing somewhere in the darkness lit only by the moon, the stars and the lamps. Everyone has a secret: the faces are not exposed and you can conceal your real self and be a bit of someone else. And your Daddy is holding your hand and telling you of constellations while you're going home from his theatre performance... 

3 comments:

  1. As an emigrant from Stockholm you make me remember the city.
    You put it very convincingly.
    I remember the feeling that you are always on your way - maybe to your secret.
    I also remember that sometimes I used to love the anonymity.
    To hide in the crowd. To just observe. Lifting my eyes from my book and just to stare out of the train window.
    The darkness outside made the reflections from inside of the wagon to mix with the lights from outside - creating a temporary reality that will disappear when I return to the book, close my eyes or turn my head

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're such a poet! I so love how you expressed it... I used to travel myself on a late tunnelbana or by bus from the centre of Stockholm to Lidingö where I was studying. And it felt so like home... Sweden with its window lights and candles along narrow paths leading you to some house hidden from the eyes of a girl returning back from millions of impressions... your comment's brought back my memories. Hoppas, det ska bli en vacker svensk kväll och dämpad utomhus belysning och bra musik igen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right.
    One should take care of good memories.

    ... after meeting friends from abroad i realized that the Swedish windows, without closed curtains, livingrooms and kitchens open to the night, are maybe the most typical thing for Sweden.

    ReplyDelete